Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 10 2011

May 10 2011

Well here I am with my second installment. It has been a few weeks and I still hate cancer. As a matter of fact, it sucks big time.

I hear every day of people who are consumed by this mother of a pot hole. I know all to well the destruction and devestation that is left in it’s wake.

Cancer has left it’s footprints in my doorway. It has tried to maneuver its way into my house on many occasions. It has managed to get into the entry way on a few occasions, only to be told to leave. It is not welcome in my house. It is not welcome in any house.

As I said on my first post, I ham a cancer conquerer as is my son. We are who we are, not what cancer wanted us to be. I will try and keep my comments on a level from my own perspective. I imagine that I do get carried away sometimes while talking about this. I guess I have the right to. I understand all too well what other people are going through, and I pray for them with all my heart and soul.

I have never been one to brag on myself or talk up my own accomplishments. It is not my nature. I am quite humble in my own right. I think I get that from my mom and dad. Rarely ever have I heard of them in any other way except to praise and build up their friends and family. They are without a doubt 2 of the most outgoing and unselfish people I know. They have always been an inspiration to me and I am sure to all of my siblings as well. I love you guys.

The early days of my presence on this earth were faced with one challenge after another. My mom and dad were put through an obstacle course that only a rare breed of people could endure. My wife and I were met with somewhat the same challenge when our son was born. Although we were more prepared than my folks were, we still were faced head on with the torment of having an infant with cancer. I guess that going through all that we went through, as well as my folks, made us all better, stronger, and more equipped to handle life’s twists and turns. It was a test to say the least. I realize that I will not graduate life’s school until the day when I meet my creator. It is then that I will finally realize all of the knowledge throughout my life thatI have gained.

To all of you out there who are battling cancer, God bless you and bravo. You are not alone. Never forget this. Don’t ever think that you have to go through this challenge by yourself. You don’t, and shouldn’t.

I was pointed out something the other day that I was quite aware of, but continued to overlook. The fact is that when people are asked to help others, it gives them just as good a feeling to help as it gives a good feeling to those that they help. I know on so many occasions while I have helped others in my life that this is true indeed. I got such a good warm feeling of accomplishment that I wanted it to never end. Some of my fondest memories are from times when I was helping others. I would hope that it is second nature for people to want to help others.

We all should help. After all, we all need it from time to time, don’t we? It is such a hard thing to reach out and ask for help sometimes. It is just so simple though.

 It is quite humbling to admit that you can’t do it all by yourself. After all, we are all taught to be self sufficient and make due with what we have. The conflict within is something that I have dealt with time and time again. With my recent struggles in my life, I have had to let down my gauntlet of misplaced pride and swallow a whole crap load of humility. It has done me good I am sure. Humility does the soul good. It brings us down to a level playing field so to speak. Not that I was ever on a higher level than anyone else, but it has given me a whole new perspective on my life and the people that are in and around it.

I still do not like to have to ask for help, but I am getting used to the idea that I need to from time to time. I am grateful that I have people in my life that have been there to help me and my family in our times of need. I love you all very much and I hope that I can be able to be of some help when the tables are turned.

Well, the dog has a cat cornered in the kitchen so I must end here. I might as well grab a cookie on the way.

Until we meet again, be well.

1 comment:

  1. Deon, you have earned the right to comment all you want about this topic! I am humbled more than you will ever know when I think of the strength that you have and how much it takes for you to ask for help. You always were, and still are, the strongest man I know. Love, Me.

    ReplyDelete