Thursday, July 21, 2011

07 21 11 head Full Of Music

Head Full Of Music


Hi people.

Music. A simple word with a mind boggling history.

For the most part, I have a song running through my head, 24/7. Most of the time it is a random song, and I have no clue as to how it got in there. Some of the time, I wish it wasn’t there, because it is a really sucky song that just keeps on looping and looping. I hate it when that happens.

Other times I am going over a song that I am changing the harmonies to, or the melodies until it seems to get compiled into a song that is quite unlike the original, and a lot of the times, it turns out better than the original.

My mind seems to be a hack em up, rewrite them, play with the melody, music recording studio. There are cut outs of a million songs laying all over the studio floor. I think I should make some time to at least sweep up a bit.

I remember about 7 or 8 years ago I had been listening to Harry Nilsson in my work truck cd player. The song was “I Can’t Live Without You”, and I would listen to the song each day on the way to work for a couple weeks. During the day, I would play with the melodies of the song in my head, especially the back up vocals. “No I can’t forget the feeling or your face as you were leaving.” I developed a strange haunting alternate version as I sang it in my head. It gave me goose bumps, and made me wish I had gone to college and got some education in recording and music writing and developing.

If I could do it all over again…

I had times in my life where I would listen to a ton of music, and I had times in my life where I listen to very little music. No matter which version of mind set I found myself in, I still always had a song running through my mind. My life has been one never ending melodical extravaganza that I would not trade for anything in the world. I have to admit that some times, I just can’t get in the mood to listen to, or enjoy music. It just doesn’t make sense to me some times, but the music still plays on inside of me. When I finally manage to snap out of my melodic doldrums, the music is always there staring me in the face, shaking a finger at me and asking me where in hell I was? I usually apologize, and hit the play button.

I enjoy many complete versions of songs. I have a knack for being able to have all of the complex harmonies and wonderful lyrics run through my music studio between my ears. If I concentrate, I can hear every piece of the orchestra accompanying the piece, and it fills my head with soothing sound.

I have heard of people with what they call, ‘perfect pitch”. I don’t know if I have perfect pitch, because I have never been taught to read or recognize music notes and scales.

One of my favorite things to do when I have idle time running through my brain, is to play Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” from start to finish in my head. Every time I do, I think of the movie “Wayne’s World”, when they are all traveling in the car, and that song comes on the radio. With their heads bouncing emphatically to the music, I am singing along with them in my mind.

I am such a head case, but I do love music. I figure that if you have a wicked happy song running through your mind, chances are, you are in a wicked happy place too. They go hand in hand. Like peas and carrots. Like peanut butter and chocolate. Like Lennon and McCartney. Like stewed tomatoes and green beans. Like vanilla ice cream smothering hot brownies. Like David Gilmore and Roger Waters. Like Tom and Jerry. Like Jethro and Tull.

Ok, Ok, Ok, I think you get my point. Ha. Here I go again. Point? Kansas, Point of Know Return. See? They just pop in and I start playing them.

With my recent ventures into Radio, I may finally have the chance to broadcast my mind out over the internet. It is a childhood dream, and it is coming true.

I have so many songs that give me Goosebumps. I have so many wonderful melodies running through the attic, and finally I get to go through all of the dusty boxes of collectible memorabilia that has been cluttering the rafters for all my years.

From TV commercials, to show tunes, to rock operas to back stage unplugged works of art, it is all inside me. It is who I am, who I have always been, and I relish the thought of others who have this affliction.

Music soothes the soul, lifts the spirit, and  takes you to places that aren’t on the map. It is really amazing that such a simple word can have such a powerful affect. I have another song running through my head as I type this.

“Gimmie the beat boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in you’re rock and roll, and drift away.” Thanks Dobie.

When my time is up on this big blue marble that spins to the east, I am sure that I will leave with a song running through my mind.

I just hope God has a charging outlet for my iPod.


Take care everyone, and have a great day.

Deon

3 comments:

  1. I think this one will actually go through, as I see my name below...crossing my fingers.

    I enjoyed reading this one "with you" and I think anyone who does will be going back in time to their own happy, sad, important, uplifting tunes. Thanks for the ride! I love you. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can hear the music

    ReplyDelete
  3. If "I Can't Live Without You" is the song I'm thinking of, it was one of my favorite songs in the 70's. When I was a kid, Dad sold and serviced coin-operated machines. One year for Christmas, I got a reomote control box that was installed in my room and hooked to a jukebox in the basement. This was one of the songs I played over and over. I learned it and sang it, accompanying myself on the piano. I'll have to see if I can find it.

    Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of We Shall Overcome
    http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
    http://abbiescorneroftheworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete